TOP 16 PHRASES YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY EDIT OUT OF YOUR EPIC FLY FISHING FILM.
I just got home from attending this year’s Fly Fishing Film Tour in Salt Lake City. It was a solid event with films, prizes, a raucous vibe, and best of all, it’s for a good cause.
So, to all you future fly fishing filmmakers, go read some Thoreau. Don’t repeat it. And, here’s a helpful list of tired phrases and terms you should definitely leave out of your future fly fishing masterpieces.
- It’s a way of life. Seriously? This phrase is as tired as a Green River boat-ramp brown that has just been caught for the 6th time that day.
- Inevitably… Knock it off. It’s evitable. Just don’t go to the fifth least traveled region on earth without a plan.
- Fly fishing is a religion. Shut up. If you’re slinging 2-hooked hairy streamers with 8 weights, shotgunning PBRs, and bathing irregularly, this is just disrespectful, even to Scientology.
- It’s all about the thrill of the chase. Yawn.
- It was epic. Oh yeah? Did Odysseus show up and defeat a Cyclops?
- This place is special. No duh, it’s earth, the best damn planet in the whole world.
- Yeah baby!!! I hate you.
- Dude (pronounced Du-hu-hu-hood), nice fish. Did you once star in a film about a most excellent adventure? If not, don’t say this.
- Unnecessary voice over recap of events as you show said events. Unless you get Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones to narrate, this is superfluous. We all saw it happen.
- It was chaos. This is inevitably uttered when a tire goes epically flat. Please study the meaning of chaos. This is a flat tire. You will get it fixed by the nearest podunk tire shop and be on the river in a couple hours. Not chaos.
- Back to back cliches (only to be outdone by the cliche sandwich). This is something of an impressive conversational feat, but not one you want all over your masterwork’s soundtrack.
- Piano music over “plight of the species” story. Don’t get me wrong, I care about species X, but just give me the info and don’t make me cry, that’s just not cool when I’m here with my fishing buds.
- It’s not just a passion, it’s an obsession. This is just awful. I want to slap you hard with a Taimen tail.
- There’s no other place on earth like this. Yes, and we hate you for not having a job and going there and saying this.
- And then it just went…insert “pop,” “snap,” “whack” or any other onomatopoeic word… We know. We all saw and groaned in unison.
- We assumed there were going to be fish there but… What if this phrase were finished off with “…but there weren’t?” Your movie would suck. We’re all pretty sure you found some fish.
Well, this about all I can come up with until I see another one of these. Maybe you can point out more in the comments.
Remember, just because you can scrape up the funds to go to the Nether-Arctic, turn on a GoPro, and use Adobe Premier doesn’t make your film great. Put some real thought into the writing, the story telling, and seriously put those editing skills to good use on your voice overs. We will all appreciate it.
It will be epic.